November 3. I cut 12" wide strips of tar paper long enough to go 6" beyond the window frame. I stapled the first strip on the bottom so the side pieces would overlap keeping water from running behind the paper. The staple hammer came in handy again:
Ready for a window:
I put some shims on the window sill, tested the window for fit, caulked along the flange and nailed it in:
This inside view shows the shims around the window. I cut the shims from one of the thousands of scraps of 2x6:
On the next window, I caulked the paper instead of the flange. Easier to apply and easier to handle the window frame when there is no caulk on it:
Here are two finished windows:
November 4. I installed the second story window with help from the kids who passed it out to me on the ladder. I checked level and nailed it in.
Here are windows from the inside. It should be dry with all the windows closed so I moved the flooring plywood from outside into the corner.