Home

Getting Started

The Donor Car

Removing the ICE

Electric Motor

Coupler
Adapter Plates
Installing the Motor
Batteries
Controller
Brake Vacuum

12 volt Circuit

Testing
Driving

Coupler

This could be the most difficult and critical part of the conversion, joining the motor and transaxle with a balanced, vibration-free coupler.

November 28. I went back to Fazzio's to get more aluminum for the clutch mounting disk. I also wanted to look for something to use for the hub. I found the aluminum, then went digging around for a hub. In a back room, I found bins of hubs! Got this one for $3.25:

It fits perfectly on the motor shaft, but I will also need a compressing ring. Back to Fazzio's.

November 29. I found a pulley that is designed to slip over this hub. It can then be tightened against the hub using three bolts. More on this later.

I cut the aluminum sheet in half using the monster:

After finding the center of an 8" square piece of aluminum, I inscribed an 8" circle, a 3" circle, and punch marks for holes. I drilled out two holes so I will be able to mount the hub onto the disk. First I had to cut the corners off the plate so it could be turned on the lathe:

This saw has teeth.

This view shows the marks I inscribed on the plate:

This view shows the hub in place:

November 30. I drilled more mounting holes in the aluminum plate so I will be able to mount the disk and hub firmly in the lathe. I start the hole at the punch mark and make sure it is centered before I continue to drill:

Drill. Note the oil to keep things going smoothly and to keep things cool:

Drilled:

December 7. I made bushings to center the 5/16th bolts in the 3/8th holes in the hub. First I drilled a hole in 3/8th stock:

Then I cut off the bushing with a hacksaw:

I cleaned up the bushing on the grinding wheel and tapped it into the hub:

Facing the disk:

I put a metal cutting blade in the big band saw, cuts 1/2" aluminum at 3000 sfpm without heating up:

The edge needs smoothing:

You can see the mounting pulley well in this picture. It's a big pulley and may interfere with the adapter plate and motor mounting holes:

Faced, cut, then polished with a bit of steel wool:

Find the center with a dead center in the tailstock:

December 10. I drilled a center hole in the 1/2" plate just a bit larger than the transaxle shaft:

I made a jig to hold the clutch in a fixed position so that each hole would be the same distance from the edge/center. That's a cobalt drill bit to go through the clutch springs:

Clockwise from the top: (1) a 1/4" thick aluminum disk with equally spaced 5/16ths holes drilled for clutch mounting, (2) drilled clutch with grade 8 bolts, (3) clutch disk pad which fell off after I drilled through the clutch rivets and springs.

The ideal centering tool is the transaxle shaft:

With clutch:

With spacers:

Disk in place over the clutch plate.

I held the clutch plate tightly against the aluminum disk as I lifted it off the centering shaft, then clamped the clutch in place. Here it is, ready to drill using the drilled clutch spring holes as template:

December 12. I worked on the 1/4" aluminum disk this evening. I need to cut out the center to make a ring. First I tried to use a circle cutter:

1/4" aluminum is too much for this cutter, so I put a screw at the center of a board and drilled holes at the inside edge of the ring:

Holes all drilled:

I cut the center out with a reciprocating saw. Here is the rough cut ring and center:

December 13. I mounted the ring onto the aluminum disk so I could clean it up on the lathe:

It was tough getting the inside ring smooth but here it is, turned:

Clutch mounted on the disk(!):

It spins smoothly at the top speed of the lathe:

December 20. I had some balancing issues that I traced to a slightly bumped dummy shaft. I cleaned it up on the lathe and retouched the aluminum disk. I got shorter grade 8 bolts, weighed them to determine difference in mass:

I found eight bolts that didn't vary by more than 1/100th of a gram. I also weighed and sorted nuts and washers. Here is the rebalanced coupler with sorted hardware:

See the check mark on the bolts. I am happy with the way this turns on the lathe.

I put it on the transaxle shaft. You can see how the pulley compresses the hub onto the dummy shaft. Fortunately, I found this smaller pulley in the same place I found the first one, in Fazzio's "army room."

Spinning, balanced:

With the coupler nearly complete, I will continue with the adapter plate and spacers.